On Wikiquote, signatures are used to find out who wrote a comment on pages in the Talk:, User talk:, and Wikiquote talk: namespaces. To sign a post, type four tildes, like this: ~~~~. For example, if User:Example writes a comment on a talk page, and she/he typed four tildes, this would show: Example 00:00 01 January 1000 (UTC). To type the username only, type 3 tildes:~~~, and this would appear as: Example. To type only the date, type five tildes: ~~~~~, and this will appear: 00:00 01 January 1000 (UTC). This is to know who wrote the comments, without looking at the page history.
Signatures should only be used in talk namespaces and will be removed if they are used anywhere else.
How to make a signature
Any registered user can make or change their signature, to make it have different colors, font sizes, or font. To do this:
- Go to the my settings tab at the top of the page.
- In the bar that says "Nickname", put in code for the signature you want.
[[User:Example|<font color="FF0000">Example</font>]] - [[User talk:Example|<font color="FF0033">T</font><font color="FF0066">A</font><font color="FF0099">L</font><font color="FF00CC">K</font>]]
- Check the "Raw signatures" box. If you don't, it will just appear as code.
- Push "Save", and then it will say "Your preferences have been saved". If it says something else, check for misspellings or other deficiencies in your code.
- Here is a list of colors.
Rules about signatures
- Your signature should not blink.
- Markup such as
<big>tags (which produce big text), or line breaks (
<br />tags) should not be used.
- Do not use a lot of superscript or subscript.
- Do not making your signature so small that it is hard to read.
- Do not use too much color. If you use color, make sure people with color blindness will be able to read it.
- You should not use images in your signature.
- Your signature should be quite short.
- It should not include external links.
- Signatures should not transclude templates.
- Signatures must not include categories.