| More reliable sources are needed for some or all quotes on this page.
You can help Simple English Wikiquote by adding reliable sources.
Aesop (Greek Αἴσωπος — Aisōpos) is well known for the group of stories called "Aesop's Fables", which are stories for children. No one knows if Aesop was a real man or if Aesop was only a legend. Even though he might not be real, he gets credit for these quotes.
- "Never trust the advice of a man in difficulties."
- Simple: Never follow the suggestions of a man who is having difficulties.
- "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Simple: We kill the people who steal small things. The ones who steal big things we elect to be our leaders.
- "The gods help them that help themselves."
- Simple: The gods help people if the people help themselves.
- "Be content with your lot; one cannot be first in everything."
- Simple: Be happy with what you have. One cannot be first in every way.
- "Do not count your chickens before they are hatched."
- Simple: Do not do anything you are not sure of until it actually happens.