- "I think because I felt so sad I had to bring out my feelings, and try to create music that would make me and all my friends feel better."
- Simple: I think that, because I was so upset, I had to show my feelings, and try to make music that would make me and all my friends feel better.
- "We wanted to bring some love to the world. I thought we were good at doing that. Bringin' love to the world."
- Simple: We wanted to bring some love to the world. I thought we were good at doing that. Bringing love to the world.
- "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard-working guy."
- Simple: I am not a very smart person. I just work very hard.
- "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever."
- What it means: Be careful of being encouraged to do something ordinary. If you do ordinary things once, you will no longer ever be interestered in doing something special.
Quotes about Wilson
- Simple: Wow, look at that ear. He should give it to The Smithsonian.
- "It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. I love the album so much. ... I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album ... I love the orchestra, the arrangements ... it may be going overboard to say it's the classic of the century ... but to me, it certainly is a total, classic record that is unbeatable in many ways ... I've often played Pet Sounds and cried. ... 'God Only Knows' is a big favorite of mine ... very emotional, always a bit of a choker for me, that one. On 'You Still Believe In Me', I love that melody — that kills me ... that's my favorite, I think ... it's so beautiful right at the end ... comes surging back in these multi-colored harmonies ... sends shivers up my spine." – Paul McCartney
- Simple: It was Pet Sounds that amazed me. I love the album very much...I am sure that nobody is taught musically until they have heard that album ... I love the orchestra and the arrangements...I may be making too much of it to say it is the classic of the century...but to me, it is a total, classic recording that cannot be beaten in many ways ... I have often played Pet Sounds and cried ... God Only Knows is one I prefer...very moving. On You Still Believe In Me, I love the melody — that I like very much...that is my favourite, I think...it is so lovely at the end...comes rushing back in the harmonies...sends shivers up my spine.
- "If there is one person that I have to select as a living genius of pop music, I would choose Brian Wilson. Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper wouldn't have happened... Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds." – George Martin
- Simple: If there is one person that I would select as a living legend of pop music, I would choose Brian Wilson. Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper would not have happened... Pepper tries to equal Pet Sounds.
- "I think I would put him up there with any composer — especially Pet Sounds. I don't think there is anything better that that, necessarily. I don't think you'd be out of line comparing him to Beethovan — to any composer. The word genius is used a lot with Brian. I don't know if he's a genius or not, but I know that music is probably as good as any music you can make." – Tom Petty
- Simple: I think I would put him on the same level as any composer — especially Pet Sounds. I do not think there is anything better than that. I think it would be fine to compare him to Beethoven — to any composer. The word "genius" is used a lot with Brian. I do not know if he is a genius or not, but I know that his music is as good as any.
- Caroline Now! interview (20 April 2000)
- "A Pop Genius Speaks of Love, Mercy, and Melody " (November 6, 2001)
- Boston Beats - Articles: When Brian Wilson Smiles
- The Metropolitan Room
- Abbott, Jim (October 15, 2000). "Quotes from the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson". The Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved on April 21, 2009
- "Musicians on Brian". BrianWilson.com. Retrieved on April 22, 2009