Creighton Williams Abrams Jr. (September 15, 1914 – September 4, 1974) was a United States Army general who commanded military in the Vietnam War. He served as Chief of Staff of the United States Army from 1972 until shortly before his death in 1974.
- "When eating an elephant take one bite at a time."
- Simple: When you doing something that is difficult, do it slowly and be careful.
- "You people are telling me what you think I want to know. I want to know what is actually happening."
- Simple: You people are telling me what you think I wish to know. I want to know what is really going on.
- "It is soldiers who pay most of the human cost. In war it is extraordinary how it all comes down to the character of one man."
- Simple: It is soldiers who pay most of the human cost. In war it is strange how it all centres to the nature of one man.
- "It is never very crowded at the front."
- Simple: It is very busy at the front.
- What it means: Most people are too afraid to be at the front of a war.
- "While we are guarding the country, we must accept being the guardian of the finest ethics. The country needs it and we must do it."
- Simple: While we are protecting the country, we have to guard our best beliefs. The country needs it and we must do it.