- "A person who has not done one half his day's work by ten o clock, runs a chance of leaving the other half undone."
- Simple: If a person who has not done before ten o'clock (10:00 AM) a half of the work he needs to do that day, he may not do the other half of the work that day.
- "Having leveled my palace, don't erect a hovel and complacently admire your own charity in giving me that for a home."
- Simple: After you smashed my palace, do not make me a small house and believe you are being kind to me by building the small house.
- "I am now quite cured of seeking pleasure in society, be it country or town. A sensible man ought to find sufficient company in himself."
- Simple: I am cured of wanting pleasure in society, in towns or away from towns. A wise man needs to find enough good society by being alone.