Joan of Arc
|Sources are needed for some or all quotes on this page.
You can help Simple English Wikiquote by adding sources.
Jehanne Darc (1412 – 30 May 1431), also known as Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc), was a mystic visionary, military leader, martyr, saint and heroine of France. Executed by fire as a heretic after sentencing by a tribunal of pro-English clergy, she was later cleared of the charges during an appellate trial of the Inquisition on 7 July 1456, and canonized as a saint of the Roman Catholic Church on 16 May 1920.
- Of the love or hatred God has for the English, I know nothing, but I do know that they will all be thrown out of France, except those who die there.
- Trial records (15 March 1431)
- Simple: I do not know whether god loves or hates the English, but I do know that they will all be kicked out of France, unless they die here.
- You say that you are my judge. I do not know if you are! But I tell you that you must take good care not to judge me wrongly, because you will put yourself in great danger. I warn you, so that if God punishes you for it, I would have done my duty by telling you!
- Jeanne's warning to Bishop Cauchon, Trial records (15 March 1431)
- Simple: You say you are my judge. I am unsure that you are! But you must be careful to judge me well/fairly, because you will put yourself at risk. I warn you, so that if God punishes/disciplines you for it, I cannot be blamed for not telling you.
- Children say that people are hung sometimes for speaking the truth.
- As quoted in World Famous Women: Types of Female Heroism, Beauty, and Influence from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time (1881) by Frank Boott Goodrich, p. 126
- Simple: Kids say that people are killed sometimes for speaking the truth.
- About Jesus Christ and the Church, I simply know they're just one thing, and we shouldn't complicate the matter.
- As quoted in The Catechism of the Catholic Church (1994)
- If I am not in the state of grace, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me.
- Trial records
- Simple: If I am not blessed by God, may God bless me; and if I am, may he keep me blessed
- I learned to spin and to sew; in sewing and spinning I fear no woman in Rouen.
- When asked about her childhood and what she did.
- Simple: I learned to spin (wool) and sew; and I am as good as any woman at spinning and sewing in Rouen.
- What I said was: 'Go boldly among the English,' and I went among them, too!
- Asked if she told her troops that copies of her pennant would bring luck.
- The poor folk gladly came to me, for I did them no unkindness, but helped them as much as I could.
- Simple: The poor like me, for I caused them no harm, but helped them when I could.
- Ha! You take great care to put down in your trial everything that is against me, but you will not write down anything that is for me!
- Simple: You take great care to record/write everything that goes against me in this trial, but you will not record/write down anything that agrees with me.
- I am a good Christian, properly baptized and I will die... a good Christian.
- I came from God. There is nothing more for me to do here! Send me back to God, from Whom I came!
- Simple: I came from God. There is nothing more for me to do here! Send me back to God (kill me.)
- And if I were condemned and brought to the place of judgment and I saw the torch lit and the faggots ready, and the executioner ready to kindle the fire, and if I were within the fire, yet I would say nothing else and I would maintain unto death what I have said in this trial!
- Simple: Even if I were about to be burned alive, I would say nothing else (confess) then what I have already said at this trial.
- I saw them with these very eyes, as well as I see you.
- On how she recognized the saints of her visions.
- I am not afraid… I was born to do this.
- I fear nothing, except treason.
- At the town of Chalons, speaking to a friend from Domremy
- I beg all of you standing here to forgive me the harm that I may have done you. Please pray for me.
- Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
- Last words.
- I fear nothing, for God is with me.
- Simple: Nothing can scare me when I am with God
- Joan of Arc on Wikipedia
- Jeanne d'Arc on Wikimedia Commons
- Joan of Arc at NNDB
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- MaidOfHeaven.com Comprehensive site about Joan of Arc
- The Jeanne d'Arc Centre
- Jeanne-darc.dk Various materials including a complete English translation of the rehabilitation trial transcript.
- Joan of Arc in the First World War by B.J. Omanson, covers interest in Joan of Arc during the First World War.
- Joan of Arc Museum in Rouen, France.
- St. Joan of Arc Center of Albuquerque, New Mexico, maintained by Virginia Frohlick.