John Ernst Steinbeck (February 27, 1902 – December 20, 1968) was an American writer.
- "We are lonesome animals. We spend all our life trying to be less lonesome."
- Simple: People are lonely animals who spend all their lives trying to be less lonely.
- About the quote: “In Awe of Words,” The Exonian, 75th anniversary edition, Exeter University (1930)
- "In utter loneliness a writer tries to explain the inexplicable."
- Simple: A lonely writer tries to explain things that cannot be explained.
- About the quote: New York Times (2 June 1969)