Meher Baba (February 25, 1894 – January 31, 1969) was a spiritual teacher from India who said to his followers that he was the Avatar. Avatar is a Sanskrit word that Baba said means God taking birth as a man. Although Meher Baba stayed silent for most of his life, his teachings spread worldwide through his travels and books.
- "Don't worry, be happy."
- Simple: Do not worry about anything, always be happy.
- "It is better to deny God, than to defy God."
- Simple: It is better to say there is no God, than to go against God.
- "To love God in the most practical way is to love our fellow beings. If we feel for others in the same way as we feel for our own dear ones, we love God."
- Simple: There are many ways to love God, but the best way is to love everyone the way you love your own family.
- "I have come not to teach but to awaken."
- Simple: I am not trying to teach people new things, but instead I am trying to wake them up to the old truths.
- "To penetrate into the essence of all things and significance and to release the fragrance of that inner attainment for the guidance and benefit of others, by expressing, in the world of forms, truth, love, purity and beauty—this is the sole game which has intrinsic and absolute worth. All other happenings, incidents and attainments in themselves can have no lasting importance."
- Simple: To look deeply inside yourself and discover a great truth, and then to express that truth to the world to help others — that is the best thing that a person could ever do. Things that you can possess don't last, but making others happy or bring knowledge to the world goes on giving as people pass it on to others.
- "Live more and more in the Present, which is ever beautiful and stretches away beyond the limits of the past and the future."
- Simple: Live more in the present, because at any given moment yesterday is gone, tomorrow hasn't happened yet, but the present is constantly happening and fresh. If you think about it carefully, you'll see that it is always the present at every single moment of your life, and never yesterday or tomorrow. So the present lasts forever, while the past and future are limited to their single moment. In this way the past and future are limited, but the present is forever — as it is always the present.
- "If God can be found through the medium of any drug, God is not worthy of being God."
- Simple: The idea that taking drugs can make you closer to truth is an insult to the whole idea of truth. Reaching truth is hard and cannot be achieved just by taking a pill or injecting or smoking a hallucinogen.
- "These false answers — such as, I am stone, I am bird, I am animal, I am man, I am woman, I am great, I am small — are, in turn, received, tested and discarded until the Question arrives at the right and Final Answer, I AM GOD."
- Simple: Evolution is really God trying to discover who He really is. He tries all the wrong answers before He gets it right — that He is God.
- Meher Baba on Wikipedia
- Meher Baba on Wikimedia Commons
- Works by Meher Baba on the English Wikisource
- The Trust Online Library (Books by Meher Baba available free to download}
- Discourses by Meher Baba
- Awakener Magazine Archive
- Selected Writings of Meher Baba
- Messages of Meher Baba
- Meher Baba's statements on Jesus
- Meher Baba's statements on Krishna