Jump to navigation Jump to search
Peter Edward "Pete" Rose Sr. (born April 14, 1941), nicknamed Charlie Hustle, is an American former player and manager in Major League Baseball who played from 1963–1986, and is the all-time major league leader in hits.
- "I'm sure that I'm supposed to act all sorry or sad or guilty now that I've accepted that I've done something wrong. But you see, I'm just not built that way. So let's leave it like this: I'm sorry it happened and I'm sorry for all the people, fans and family it hurt. Let's move on."
- Simple: I do not feel sorry or sad from what I have done wrong because I am not that way. Let us just move on.
- "My goal is 3,000. If I can play 150 games for the next five years, I’ll reach 3,000 on July 16, 1977...no, make that 1978."
- Simple: My goal is to reach 3000 hits playing Major League baseball games. I'll make it in 1978 if I play 150 games the next five years.
- About the quote: Said in a 1972 interview. He did hit 3,000th times on May 5, 1978.
- "I'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit just to play baseball."
- Simple: I would walk to Hell in a gasoline suit just to play baseball.
- What it means: Rose would do anything to play baseball.
Quotes about Pete Rose
- "He is Cincinnati. He's the Reds." – Sparky Anderson
- What it means: Rose is the most important part of the Cincinnati Reds.
- "I will remember Pete Rose one way. Horizontal." – Brian Williams, speaking of Rose's aggressive style of play