- "There ought to be something very special about the boundary conditions of the universe and what can be more special than that there is no boundary?"
- Simple: There has to be something very strange about the boundary conditions of the universe and nothing can be stranger than that there is no boundary.
- "For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen."
- Simple: Humans were ordinary until we learnt to talk to each other, then we were able to use our imagination to do special things.
- "Although September 11 was horrible, it didn't threaten the survival of the human race, like nuclear weapons do."
- Simple: The terrorist attacks in the United States of America on September 11, 2001 were horrible, but they were not a threat to the survival of the human race, the way nuclear weapons are.
- "Life would be tragic if it weren't funny."
- Simple: If life is not funny, then it would be tragic.
- The Anthropic Cosmological Principle (1986) by John D. Barrow and Frank J. Tipler.
- British Telecom advertisement (1993), part of which was used in Pink Floyd's Keep Talking (1994).
- Interview “Colonies in space may be only hope, says Hawking” by Roger HIghfield in Daily Telegraph (October 16, 2001)
- "The Science of Second-Guessing", The New York Times (December 12, 2004)