Jump to navigation Jump to search
Run. The truce is ending. Taglines
The Village is a made in 2004 film about the people who live in a small, isolated countryside village who believe that their connection with the mythical creatures that inhabit the forest around them, is coming to an end.
- Written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
- There are different types of love.
- [reading a letter to the elders] My mother is unaware of reasons of my visit today. She did not give her consent or consult me in any form. The passing of little Daniel Nicholson, from illness, and other events have weighed on my thoughts. I ask permission to cross into the forbidden woods and travel to the nearest town. I will gather new medicines, and I will return. With regards to those we don't speak of, I am certain they will let me pass. Creatures can sense emotion and fear. They will see I am pure of intention and not afraid. The end.
- [to Lucius] I know why you denied my sister. When I was younger, you used to hold my arm when I walked. Then suddenly you stopped. One day, I even tripped in your presence and nearly fell. I was faking, of course, but still you did not hold me. Sometimes we don't do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them.
- Papa, I cannot see his color.
- If he dies, all that is left of me will die with him.
- [singing to her sister Kitty] Baby sleep, gently sleep / Life is long and love is deep. / Time will be sweet for thee / All the world to see. / Time to look around and know / How the shadows come and go, / How the breeze stirs the tree, / How the blossoms grow.
- I'm not going to tell you what your color is, so stop asking.
- We'll be safe, we have the magic rocks.
- My sister has found love... again.
- I'm back, Lucius.
- My sister cried a lot. You wonder how I recognize you? Some people - just a handful, mind you - give off the tiniest color. It's faint. Like a haze. It's the only thing I ever see in the darkness. Papa has it, too. Do you wonder what your color is? Well, that I won't tell you. It's not ladylike to speak of such things. You shouldn't even have asked.
- His will to live is very strong.
- [part of a table grace] We are grateful for the time we have been given.
- The moment I heard my daughter's vision had finally failed her, and that she'd forever be blind, I was sitting in that chair. I was so ashamed.
- You are fearless in a way that I shall never know.
- Yes, I have risked. I hope I am always able to risk everything for the just and right cause.
- We have always had a gentle understanding with the creatures that live in the woods.
- The world moves for love; it kneels before it in awe.
- Who'll pinch me to wake me up? Who will laugh at me when I fall? Whose breath will I listen for so that I may sleep? Whose hand will I hold so that I may walk?
- I often wondered if you and my son bonded because neither of you was fond of speaking. You're very kind. You must pardon my manners; I haven't slept in many nights.
- Noah Percy: They're coming.
- Noah Percy: [near-hysterical, laughing and sobbing] ... Bad color! Bad, bad color! Bad c-color...!
- Kitty Walker: [whispering] Don't let them in!
- Brown-Eyed Girl: Heed the warning bell, for they are coming.
- Finton Coin: Thank you, Lucius. You're a good friend.
- Guard at Desk: Do not get into conversations.
- Beatrice: It is amazing what two people love chooses to unite. It follows no rules.
- Ivy Walker: When we are married, will you dance with me? I find dancing very agreeable. Why can you not say what is in your head?
- Lucius Hunt: Why can you not stop saying what is in yours? Why must you lead, when I want to lead? If I want to dance I will ask you to dance. If I want to speak I will open my mouth and speak. Everyone is forever plaguing me to speak further. Why? What good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake? What good can come from my saying that I sometimes cannot think clearly or do my work properly? What gain can rise of my telling you the only time I feel fear as others do is when I think of you in harm? That is why I am on this porch, Ivy Walker. I fear for your safety before all others. And yes, I will dance with you on our wedding night.
- Edward Walker: Ivy...
- Ivy Walker: Yes, father.
- Edward Walker: Do your very best not to scream.
- Edward Walker: It is all that I can give you... It is all that I can give you.
- Alice Hunt: I accept.
- Lucius Hunt: I am not the one with secrets.
- Alice Hunt: What is your meaning?
- Lucius Hunt: There are secrets in every corner of this village. Do you not feel it? Do you not see it?
- Alice Hunt: And what makes you think that he has feelings for me?
- Lucius Hunt: The way he never touches you.
- Lucius Hunt: Sometimes we don't do things, yet others know we want to do things so we don't do them.
- Alice Hunt: What nonsense do you speak?
- Lucius Hunt: You needn't worry. Nothing will happen to me.
- Alice Hunt: You remind me of a colt sometimes.
- Ivy Walker: [after Noah hands her some red berries] Oh, berries! What a splendid present!
- Lucius Hunt: Be cautious. You are holding the bad color.
- Ivy Walker: [becomes worried, covers the berries with her hands] This color attracts Those We Don't Speak Of. [to Noah] You ought not pick that color berry anymore.
- [Noah nods]
- Lucius Hunt: [In a hushed whisper] He picked it from his pocket.
- Ivy Walker: Your breathing has changed. What's wrong?
- Lucius Hunt: [to Noah] If you did not pick this now, where did you get it?
- Lucius Hunt: [to the elders] Today at resting rock, Noah Percy handed Ivy Walker berries of the bad color. When asked where he had found these berries, for they were unlike any I have seen, he pointed to the drawing on Resting Rock. It is my knowledge that Noah has traveled into the woods on many occasions. It also confirms my belief that the creatures did not harm Noah because of his innocence, and they would let me through to fetch medicines.
- Lucius Hunt: Do you not wish you had your sight?
- Ivy Walker: I see the world, Lucius Hunt. Just not as you see it.
- Ivy Walker: How is it that you are so brave while the rest of us shake in our boots?
- Lucius Hunt: I don't think of what might happen, only what must be done.
- Lucius Hunt: You run like a boy.
- Ivy Walker: Thank you.
- Ivy Walker: Noah Percy come here this minute. You must go into the quiet room.
- Noah Percy: No, no I'll cry quarts.
- Ivy Walker: If you will not go into the quiet room we must strike a deal.
- Noah Percy: Capital idea.
- Ivy Walker: You must promise never to hit anyone ever again.
- Noah Percy: No, no hitting.
- Ivy Walker: Do you promise to keep this deal secret?
- Noah Percy: Like a church mouse.
- [They shake hands. Ivy points to her cheek. Noah kisses it]
- Ivy Walker: The deal is struck.
- Mrs. Clack: [after Edward Walker tells the group he has sent Ivy to the towns to fetch medicines] What have you done?
- Edward Walker: He is the victim of a crime.
- Mrs. Clack: We have agreed never to go back. Never
- Edward Walker: What was the purpose of our leaving? Don't forget, it was out of hope of something good and right.
- Robert Percy: You should not have made decisions without us!
- Edward Walker: I'm guilty, Robert! I made a decision of a heart, I cannot look into another's eyes and see the same look I see in August's without justification! It is too painful, I cannot bear it!
- Mrs. Clack: You have jeopardized everything we have made.
- Edward Walker: Who do you think will continue this place, this life? Do you plan to live forever? It is in them that our future lies, it is in Ivy and Lucius that this way of life will continue. Yes I have risked, I hope I am always able to risk everything for the just and right cause. If we did not make this decision, we could never again call ourselves innocent, and that in the end is what we have protected here, innocence! That I'm not ready to give up.
- August Nicholson: Let her go. If it ends, it ends. We can move towards hope, that's what's beautiful about this place. We cannot run from heartache. My brother was slain in the towns, the rest of my family died here. Heartache is a part of life, we know that now. Ivy is running toward hope, let her run. If this place is worthy, she'll be successful in her quest.
- Mrs. Clack: How could you have sent her. She is blind.
- Edward Walker: She is more capable than most in this village. And she is led by love. The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe.
- Young Security Guard: You're not allowed to go in there. Please return to your vehicle.
- Ivy Walker: What was that noise?
- Young Security Guard: What are you doing out here? How did you get here?
- Ivy Walker: Are you from the towns?
- Young Security Guard: Um, Where are you from?
- Ivy Walker: The woods.
- Ivy Walker: What is your name?
- Young Security Guard: Kevin.
- Ivy Walker: Kevin, you have kindness in your voice. I did not expect that.
- KITTY: I'm in love! I want your permission to marry, Papa!
- EDWARD: There's a proper manner in which these things are supposed to happen, such as the boy would normally be standing next to you, in a moment such as this! Where is the BOY in all this, Kitty?!
- KITTY: I haven't spoken to him as of yet.
- EDWARD: The young man is unaware of your intentions?!
- LUCIUS: Are you not angry you have no sight?
- IVY: I see the world, Lucius Hunt. Just not as you see it.
- Lucius: It is cold outside. You ought to go in.
- IVY: Why are you on this porch?
- LUCIUS: It is not safe.
- IVY: There are other porches. Do you find me too much of a tomboy? I do long to do boy things. Like that game the boys play at the stump. They put their backs to the woods, and see how long they can wait before getting scared. That's so exciting. I understand you hold the record. It will never be broken, they say.
- LUCIUS: It's just children's games.
- IVY: How is it you are brave when all the rest of us shake in our boots?
- LUCIUS: I do not worry about what will happen, only what needs to be done.
- EDWARD: What do you know about your grandfather?
- IVY: He was the wealthiest man in the towns?
- EDWARD: That he was, he had a gift for that. If he was given one dollar, in less than a fortnight, he would have turned it into five. You do not know of money. It is not part of our life here. Money can be a wicked thing. It can turn men's hearts black. Good men's hearts. My father could not see this, for all his gifts. He was a poor judge of a man's character. Your grandfather WAS a good man, Ivy. He had a laugh that could be heard three houses away. He used to hold my hand as I hold yours. He taught me strength, and showed me love, and told me to lead when others would only follow. Your grandfather, James Walker, died in his sleep. A man put a gun to his head and shot him while he dreamed. I tell you this so you will understand some of the reasons for my actions, and the actions of others. You are a strong one, Ivy. You lead when others would only follow. You see light, when there is only darkness. I trust you. I trust you among all others.
- EDWARD: There did exist rumors of creatures in these woods. It is one of the history books I used to teach in the towns.
- IVY: The screams? From the woods?
- EDWARD: We created those sounds.
- IVY: The Ceremony of Meat?
- EDWARD: We remove it ourselves. An elder is always assigned.
- IVY: The drills... they are farce, too?
- EDWARD: We did not want anyone to go to the towns, Ivy.
- IVY: What about the animals.... the skinned ones? Are the elders responsible for that, too?
- EDWARD: I BELIEVE ONE of the elders is responsible. It will not happen again. There is no one in this village who has not lost someone irreplaceable, who has nt felt loss so deeply that they questioned the very merit of living at all. It is a darkness I wished... you would never know. Forgive us our silly lies, Ivy. They were not meant to harm.
- IVY: I am... sad for you, Papa. For all the elders.
- EDWARD: On this paper has been written a tool of medicine. It is common in the towns. You will go... with two escorts. Follow the sounds of a stream. A half-day's journey will bring you to a hidden road. At this hidden road, the two escorts will wait as you continue. You alone will follow the road... and leave Covington Woods. You are to tell no one in the towns where we are... and return with haste. I cannot come with you. You gave your heart to this boy. He is in need. Are you ready to take this burden, which by right, is yours and yours alone?
- Run. The truce is ending.
- I: Let the bad color not be seen. It attracts them.
II: Never enter the woods. That is where they wait.
III: Heed the warning bell, for they are coming.
- There is no turning back.
- Bryce Dallas Howard - Ivy Walker
- Joaquin Phoenix - Lucius Hunt
- Adrien Brody - Noah Percy
- William Hurt - Edward Walker
- Sigourney Weaver - Alice Hunt
- Brendan Gleeson - August Nicholson
- Cherry Jones - Mrs. Clack
- Celia Weston - Vivian Percy
- John Christopher Jones - Robert Percy
- Frank Collison - Victor
- Jayne Atkinson - Tabitha Walker
- Judy Greer - Kitty Walker
- Fran Kranz - Christop Crane
- Michael Pitt - Finton Coin
- Jesse Eisenberg - Jamison
- M. Night Shyamalan - Guard at Desk
- The Village at mnightfans.com