Jump to navigation Jump to search
- "L'homme est libre au moment qu'il veut l'être."
- Translation: Man is free at the instant he wants to be.
- Simple: Man is free when he wants to be free
- "Le paradis terrestre est où je suis."
- Translation: Paradise on Earth is where I am.
- Simple: I am in paradise where I live
- What it means: Paradise is where Voltaire is on Earth
- "Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer."
- Translation: If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
- Simple: If God did not exist, we would have to invent him
- What it means: Voltaire believes in God, but if someone proved God didn't exist, people would have to invent God.
- "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Simple: I do not have to agree with what you believe and what you say, but I will make sure that you are allowed to say what you want.
- "It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." 
- Simple: It is dangerous to disagree with government.
- Source Brutus, act II, scene I (1730)
- Le Mondain (1736)
- Épître à l'Auteur du Livre des Trois Imposteurs (1770-11-10)
- http://www.lpboulder.org/quotes/ Libertarian Quotes