official policy on Wikiquote.
This page is an |
It has wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users should follow.
Big changes to this page should be talked about on the talk page before changing.
Administrators have the ability to "protect" pages or images so that certain kinds of editors can edit it. Pages can also be "pinned down" so they cannot be moved by non-administrators. This is only done for certain reasons.
Type of protection
There are several types of protection.
- Full protection Only sysops can edit and move the page.
- Semi protection Only registered users with some experience can edit the page.
- Move protection Only sysops can move the page. It can happen a page is semi protected for editing but also protection against moving. Please note, regardless protection, unregistered users and newly created accounts are not permitted to move the Wikiquote pages. See also w:Wikipedia:User access levels.
- Cascade protection Not only the page but also all its inclusions are fully protected.
Duration of each protection is either indefinite ("permanent") or temporal (expiry is defined). For placing a temporal protection, sysops are highly recommended to set an expiry.
General wiki protection descriptions can be found at w:Wikipedia:Protection policy, although Wikiquote guidelines may supercede them.
- A sysop may protect the following types of pages:
- Highly visible pages, like the highly used templates and system messages, to prevent casual edits.
- Pages involved in move or edit wars, to halt the conflict.
- Pages experiencing frequent vandalism, to suspend the attacks.
- Pages created or edited contrary to Wikiquote policy or community will, to enforce such policies or community decisions.
- Be aware the protection in situations 2, 3, and 4 should be temporary.
- If a sysop is involved in an edit war, he or she should not protect the page.
- A sysop may protect a page, if necessary, without discussion, following the procedure described in this page.
- Any editor may request for page protection on Wikiquote:Administrators' noticeboard (or other more appropriate page).
- In general, a sysop should not edit temporarily protected pages, except to revert obviously vandalized pages to appropriate versions.
- General wiki protection guidelines can be found at w:Wikipedia:Protection policy, although Wikiquote guidelines may supercede them.