Jump to navigation Jump to search
- "Perhaps the place to start looking for a credibility gap is not in the offices of the Government in Washington but in the studios of the networks in New York!"
- What it means: The media, which includes television and newspapers, is the one that cannot be trusted, not the government.
- About the quote: From speech delivered November 13, 1969 in Des Moines, Iowa.
- "A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by an effete corps of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals."
- Simple: Our nation wants to be weak and easily hurt by others. This belief is caused by rude people who pretend they are smart.
- About the quote: Denouncing Moratorium Day protest against Vietnam War; in NY "Times," October 20, 1969.
- "In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism."
- Simple: America has many people who talk negatively.
- "The United States, for all its faults, is still the greatest nation in the country."
- Simple: America, with all the things that are wrong with it, is still the best country in the world.