Jump to navigation Jump to search
- "But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
- Simple: When a constitution of government changes from freedom, it can never be got back
- "I always consider the settlement of America with reverence and wonder, as the opening of a grand scene and design in providence, for the illumination of the ignorant and the emancipation of the slavish part of mankind all over the earth."
- Simple: I see America as a place with only ignorance and slavery
- "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
- Simple: One man is a shame, two become lawyers, and three become a parliament.
- "No man who ever held the office of president would congratulate a friend on obtaining it."
- Simple: No president would ever congratulate a friend of his on becoming president after him
- "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."
- Simple: Our Government is not, even with power, able to work without morals and religion. Going against morals and religion would break them. The Constitution of the United States is for religious people. It is not for any others.
- "Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it."
- Familiar Letters of John Adams and His Wife Abigail Adams, Google Books.
- The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States, Google Books.
- Greatest Jokes of the Century Book 22, Google Books.
- The Yale Book of Quotations, Google Books.
- He Talk Like a White Boy, Google Books.
- John Adams on Wikipedia
- John Adams on Wikimedia Commons
- Works by John Adams on the English Wikisource
Presidents of the United States of America
|Washington · J. Adams · Jefferson · Madison · Monroe · J. Q. Adams · Jackson · Van Buren · W. H. Harrison · Tyler · Polk · Taylor · Fillmore · Pierce · Buchanan · Lincoln · A. Johnson · Grant · Hayes · Garfield · Arthur · Cleveland · B. Harrison · Cleveland · McKinley · T. Roosevelt · Taft · Wilson · Harding · Coolidge · Hoover · F.D. Roosevelt · Truman · Eisenhower · Kennedy · L. B. Johnson · Nixon · Ford · Carter · Reagan · G. H. W. Bush · Clinton · G. W. Bush · Obama|