- "I cannot tell a lie, I did it with my little hatchet."
- Simple: I am not able to tell a lie, I did it with my hatchet.
- What it means: He was confessing to his father, Augustine Washington, that he had cut down a cherished cherry tree.
- "It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible."
- Simple: People are not able run governments without God and the Bible.
- What it means: Religion is needed for a government to make good and moral decisions.
- "It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it."
- Simple: We can say that this is one of the most important things. It is what holds up our system. Every Citizen who is protected by a Free Government should not only pay part of his property to help keep the Free Government safe. He himself should do work to keep it safe.
- George Washington on Wikipedia
- George Washington on Wikimedia Commons
- Works by George Washington on the English Wikisource
|Washington · J. Adams · Jefferson · Madison · Monroe · J. Q. Adams · Jackson · Van Buren · W. H. Harrison · Tyler · Polk · Taylor · Fillmore · Pierce · Buchanan · Lincoln · A. Johnson · Grant · Hayes · Garfield · Arthur · Cleveland · B. Harrison · Cleveland · McKinley · T. Roosevelt · Taft · Wilson · Harding · Coolidge · Hoover · F.D. Roosevelt · Truman · Eisenhower · Kennedy · L. B. Johnson · Nixon · Ford · Carter · Reagan · G. H. W. Bush · Clinton · G. W. Bush · Obama|