William McKinley (January 29, 1843 – September 14, 1901) was the 25th President of the United States, from 1897 until his assassination in 1901.
- "The mission of the United States is one of benevolent assimilation."
- Simple: The United States should make other countries like the United States.
- "I could not have told where those damned islands were within 2,000 miles," he confessed later.
- Simple: I didn't know where the Philippines were, and would not have gotten close if I had guessed.
- About the quote: When he received a message from Admiral George Dewey reporting the capture of Manila, President William McKinley had to look up the location of the Philippines on a globe.