James Buchanan (April 23, 1791 – June 1, 1868) was the 15th and only unmarried President of the United States (1857–1861).
- "Sir, if you are as happy in entering the White House as I shall feel on returning to Wheatland, you are a happy man indeed."
- Simple: Abraham Lincoln, if you are as happy to become President of the United States as I am to stop being President and go home, you are very happy.
- About the quote: Said to Abraham Lincoln after Lincoln became President (March 4, 1861).
- "What is right and what is practicable are two different things."
- Simple: What is the right thing to do, and what you are able to do are different things.
- ↑ James Buchanan (2004) by Jean H. Baker, Pg 140.
- ↑ Presidential Leadership : Rating the Best and the Worst in the White House (2004)